lichess.org
Donate

Some structural changes in 2.3.65

I've implemented some very interesting changes, support for OBS and maybe a lot more stuff. But in order to do that I had to change LT to have a background page. So it's no longer a glorified script collection, now it connects through a background script to various things. At least I got away from the tyranny of CSP.

Anyway, I am rambling. Long night. The changes shouldn't affect anyone, but if you see anything strange, please let me know.
Certified Safety Professional (CSP), top google search result... :)
Adding programming:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communicating_sequential_processes
> In computer science, communicating sequential processes (CSP) is a formal language for describing patterns of interaction in concurrent systems.

Interesting and thanks for sharing. OBS being about video recording and creation, if I recall. Big.

CSP, must be something about web technology programming. trying that.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTTP/CSP
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content_Security_Policy

> Content Security Policy (CSP) is a computer security standard introduced to prevent cross-site scripting (XSS), clickjacking and other code injection attacks resulting from execution of malicious content in the trusted web page context.[1] It is a Candidate Recommendation of the W3C working group on Web Application Security,[2] widely supported by modern web browsers.[3] CSP provides a standard method for website owners to declare approved origins of content that browsers should be allowed to load on that website—covered types are JavaScript, CSS, HTML frames, web workers, fonts, images, embeddable objects such as Java applets, ActiveX, audio and video files, and other HTML5 features.

There you go.

But why tyranny? Is it really for security of the user of such web technology or is that to secure also some advertisement channel via user control deprecation from the infrastructure, say via putting obstacles for extensions like u-block (lichess does suggest one, to keep some control over their brain attention FOV). I have a hard time now disambiguating double speak, it has become so pervasive these days, all over. Secure local OS and borrowed partition from that for the web OS under the browser?

That could be justified. It there was not so much noise. I hope I am just going crazy, and full cynical.... that I am confusing apples and oranges.
CSP stops me from connecting to almost anything. I can't use images from the web, can't access outside services, etc. To implement the ChessDb feature, which I think it's doing great, I had to beg people to allow connections to that web site. With the new changes I can, albeit in a weird and convoluted way, ask the extension itself to access outside services and send data to Lichess.

It also provides me with a single execution context for all open tabs, which means that I could move engine computation there, or at least stuff that should not be concurrent, like friend sound alerts.

There are a lot of good options, I just don't like how complicated the system has become. Before one could conceivably just combine all JS into a file, all CSS into another file and then load them as user scripts. Now, that won't be possible, not that anyone was doing that anyway.

Join the L1Chess Tools Users Team team, to post in this forum